Music Banter - View Single Post - Most Memorable Moments in Sports
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2011, 07:07 PM   #56 (permalink)
EvilChuck
#based

Time to put some football in this thread:

Zidane volley to win the European Cup

Greatest goal in a European Cup final? Possibly, certainly the best I've ever seen. The bravery to do this in a game of such magnitude is one thing, but the absolutely perfect technique used just makes this goal worthy of winning a European Cup.

Ronaldinho gets applause at the Bernabéu

Ronaldinho at his peak was in the top 5 players of all time, and these goals just summed him up. His pace, quick feet and close control and how he always played with a smile on his face. I cant remember it ever happening any other time for a Barca player to get applause from Madrid fans for tearing their team a new one.

Cristiano Ronaldo free kick vs Arsenal

The very audible groan when the ball hits the back of the net is what sticks in the mind here, followed half a second later by cheers from the United fans. The third goal on the counter attack was definitely the more aesthetically pleasing goal from a footballing perspective, but if you want a goal to sum up all of the emotions that people feel from this sport then this goal has it.

Italy vs Germany; World Cup semi final 2006

This was simply a great game of football, so many chances created by both sides which considering it was a high pressure semi final of the World Cup makes it even better. The fact that Italy won, and went on to win the trophy gave their football something to be proud of at a time when the whole Calciopoli scandal was in the news. Sadly the final will mostly only be remembered for this moment...

Maradona 86

Maradona will be remembered for two goals, both against England in 1986. The 'Hand of God' goal needs no words, he cheated and got away with it. The second goal was simply stunning football, and really makes you question why he he handballed the first one if he was able to do this. Goals like this dont come along very often, and when they do, they stick in the memory.

There are hundreds of moments from football I could have chosen, I might do more at a later date because this has actually been quite fun to revisit some of these.