Music Banter - View Single Post - Konstantin Raudive - Voices of the Dead (2002) [SAA Album Club discussion thread]
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2011, 08:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
dankrsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrynight View Post
And ultimately is it just trying to tap into those ghost cliches from horror films and legends by just trying to create a creepy sound instead of something more different?
I don't know, when I was listening to it, it didn't evoke horror films, more like sci-fi. It's actually refreshing that creepiness isn't so in your face, but almost like a byproduct of "scientific" research. The only track, that I can say tries to create some gothic environment by those slow, deep tones, is by Calla, 'Raudive Track'. Most of the others are actually quite cold in their approach, sound collages and experiments working around the founding concept of Raudive's recording of the "voices", injecting them with musicality. There's a sense of some hidden melancholy in some of them, which warms up the record, like in 'Nature Morte'. Some of them are quite mystic like 'Kolade Spirit' by David Toop and to a lesser extent those two electronic tracks: 'Bizz Circuits' (this one is one of my favorites) and 'Palae Fore Memoire' (this one really evokes the sci-fi feel I mentioned).

The best track is definitely 'Intimate Decision for Solo Viola' (I completely agree with OccultHawk here). Without it this would be a really cold record despite those occasional glimpses of warmth in some tracks. But this one makes up for it. It has some mysterious sadness and fatal foreboding perfect for the subject. Brett Dean injects this collection of sound experiments with much needed emotion and puts it in human context, pulls it down from the pseudo-scientific abstractions.

But still, I feel it's not enough to warm up the whole record which is somewhat tiring for listening at once, mainly because of that coldness, the result of experimental approach that tries to emulate to an extent Raudive's "scientific" approach. I must admit though, it's an interesting concept and it gets a solid mark.