Music Banter - View Single Post - The Send Someone Something They Dont Listen To but May Like Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2011, 07:13 PM   #607 (permalink)
dankrsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
For Dankstra:

Flaw
Through the Eyes

My friend gave me this album in 03 and I just loved it.
Hmm, I listened to this a couple of times and I must say I don't like this at all. It's no different from any other alternative or nu metal I've heard. So unimaginative and boring: a little bit of some generic melodic singing alternates with the obligatory screaming, that sounds so bland, as opposed to energetic, which they were going for; almost every song starts with a short melodic guitar work which then dissolves into distortion. All this is supposed to be heavy, but I can't remember when was the last time I've heard a distorted guitar sound so weak, with no force at all. The rhythm section is practically non-existent. I mean it's there, but with no real impact.

So dj, is this your payback for Diamanda Galas I sent you previously?
But, I've heard this three times and you haven't finished Galas even once. Just saying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaligojurah View Post
To Dankstra:

Sopor Aeternus - Dead Lovers Sarabande (Face One)

Technically labeled as a darkwave band but very much on the neo-classical end of things. One of my favorite bands, and fun to listen to. Albeit, for some reason megaunknown. With Dankstra being a lover of the avant-garde, and neoclassical, feel it'd be a perfect fit.
This is much better. I was hesitant at first when I started listening. I was afraid it was going to be one of those generic, overly theatrical and symphonic (god forbid) gothic albums, some bloodless "dark", romantic music which I usually love to hate. That's because I'm drawn to it, but I rarely find it done right. But, as it went on I realized it's actually quite interesting. It just became better and better. Besides the neoclassical influences you mentioned I also noticed quite a bit of neofolk sound.

It is theatrical and with that typical gothic pathos, but it doesn't cross the line, it doesn't venture into self-parody. It comes dangerously close though in one song, the Edgar Alan Poe one (he's a must apparently, a gothic canon). Urgh, I didn't like it at all. Why does it have to be the longest one? Still, there are several very good songs to make up for it, one being 'Ich Wollte Hinaus In Den Garten...'. This one is the most folkish and "medieval" sounding. The other favorite is 'Lament', a good example of monumentality that doesn't go overboard. I also liked those really short tracks between these big songs, like passages. I'd say this middle part of the album is the strongest. Overall, a solid album. Thanks.