Music Banter - View Single Post - Death In June
Thread: Death In June
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2011, 09:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
dankrsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaligojurah View Post
From that, I'm almost wondering if perhaps people take the imagery in art, and music a little too seriously. For me, I kind of understand the Boyd Rice approach of going full boar with it, but not really meaning it. It in itself is almost a protest of how seriously people take music, moreso than a pro-fascist statement itself.
Boyd Rice is a prankster before everything else and a transgressor. I'm not sure he doesn't really mean it though. I thought at first that he does it only for shock value, but I don't know anymore. Maybe he just loves to hate. However he seems to me more ambiguous than Douglas Pierce.

Cryptic or not, I think Pierce really believes in all this imagery he uses. Fascist uniforms are there to symbolize "culture soldiers". Why fascist? Because the culture ideal is that of the mythologized European past, some vague heroic time of pagan pre-Christian old Europe and especially valuing the ideals of tradition, nation, power, will etc. Rings a bell? Just read Julius Evola and his so called "radical traditionalism". There lies the inspiration for many neofolk and martial industrial bands. It doesn't matter how cryptic the band is. It's dangerously close to fascist philosophy and ideology. In fact, this radical traditionalism is the spiritual basis of fascism. Still, Death in June make some very good music, there's no denying that...