Music Banter - View Single Post - 6/2*(1+2)=?
Thread: 6/2*(1+2)=?
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2011, 04:09 PM   #116 (permalink)
TheBig3
killedmyraindog

Well, no one answer my question from earlier in the thread which was...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3 View Post
I'm boggled by the philosophy that addition/subtraction and multiplication/division are interchangeable. Order of operations is something artificially created to avoid these issues. So why boggle the issue by saying

These laws, for ease of things like international space travel, will be iron clad...except for these parts here. Do this however the **** ya want. That part I'm lost on.
If we can agree that there isn't an inherent way to complete these problems and that the Order of Operations (OoO) is something to communicate more effectively as a globe, then why such flimsy guidelines sitting within the law?

It isn't logical to have order, where in there is disorder. Math is often seen as hard truths to achieve answers. But most of what we learn in math is philosophy. Its filled with theory and abstract constructs which we represent with numbers but you're not always told what you're multiplying or finding the radical root of.

All Oojay did, and myself since I got 1 also, was assign logical law to an area thats illogical. Why are certain ranks considered equal if there isn't an inherent way to find an answer, and we're making one up? If we're using PEMDAS, then it will determine rank where the system has failed.