Music Banter - View Single Post - 6/2*(1+2)=?
Thread: 6/2*(1+2)=?
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2011, 05:16 PM   #121 (permalink)
TheBig3
killedmyraindog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
I don't think that's what EvilChuck is looking for, regardless of if it's being challenged. I think he just wanted the answer that's taught in school and practiced in practical life.

And it seems pretty established to me, that's why Google calculator knew what I meant even when I didn't add the parentheses. Just because people are doing the problem incorrectly doesn't mean we should accept that as an alternative answer.
I was willing to overlook that fact that you dodged a question you didn't know the answer to, despite it saying a lot about your intellectual character.

But if you're going to charge around as the pied ****ing piper of the math elite, lets let it stand here. So long as the order of operations doesn't directly show what people should do - its flawed.

You'll note at no point did Oojay do math incorrectly. And the latitude for it to be correct. What you're doing right now is claiming you're the smartest man in the room because the most people think so. If we were to believe that, we'd have to start believing that the MB Awards hold water, or that this thread will determine a posting pecking-order.

Most of us came to this thread to have a discussion and further our understanding. Not to pull our mathematical-****s out and compare sizes.