Music Banter - View Single Post - Favourite love song?
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2011, 03:44 AM   #510 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Duce View Post

Love of mine some day you will die
But I'll be close behind
I'll follow you into the dark

No blinding light or tunnels to gates of white
Just our hands clasped so tight
Waiting for the hint of a spark
If heaven and hell decide
That they both are satisfied
Illuminate the no's on their vacancy signs

If there's no one beside you
When your soul embarks
Then I'll follow you into the dark
A very touching song, Il Duce, and an interesting video. I liked it a lot. The idea of someone following another into the dark to face the unknown together...even if it is just nothingness and non-existence...is comforting. The song feels very loving.

The song reminds me of a haunting image of the Holocaust that sticks in my mind. One sister was placed in the line to go directly to the crematorium. The other sister, who had been selected to live, suddenly jumped over to be with her doomed relative so that she wouldn't face death alone. The sister who jumped lines called back to the survivors: "Tell the world about what they have done!"

I always wonder: would I jump lines to be with a loved-one if he or she were in the line to die? I think I would. The thought of them facing that alone is unbearable. It is heartwrenching how many people have had to think about making this choice and have had no way to protect their loved-ones, though they tried...right to the very end. Execution at Ivangorod

On the other end of the love song spectrum, here's one of my favorite ballads about a love that fails as one person abandons another:

Randy VanWarmer - "Just when I needed you most" (1979)

If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"

Last edited by VEGANGELICA; 05-02-2011 at 04:06 AM.
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote