Music Banter - View Single Post - Sounds Like Bin Laden's Dead
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2011, 06:59 PM   #286 (permalink)
skaltezon
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA
I did feel something today: dismay.

I'm disturbed by the scenes of the bloodthirsty Americans fanatically waving their American flags as they rejoice that a human being has been KILLED.

I feel the U.S. acted unethically in killing Osama Bin Laden and this action lowered the U.S. closer to the level of the terrorists the U.S. hopes to vanquish, since it shows that the U.S., like terrorists, uses killing in a vain attempt to obtain its goals.

Also, no one in the thread has mentioned the unarmed woman, perhaps Bin Laden's wife, whom U.S. forces killed while she was being used as, or was using herself as, a human shield. The U.S. killed this woman as collateral damage.

Perhaps a life doesn't matter? Perhaps it is okay to achieve goals by killing innocent people?

That's what Osama believed, right? And apparently Obama believes this, too, for he proclaimed "justice has been done" now that the U.S. has killed "a terrorist who's responsible for the murder of thousands of innocent men, women and children." Obama To 9/11 Victims: 'Justice Has Been Done' - Osama bin Laden News Story - WCYB Tri Cities

I never think justice is done when someone is killed, no matter how heinous that person's crime, and certainly not when an unarmed woman is killed. Killing Osama Bin Laden and the unarmed, unnamed woman who was there with him is just another atrocity in a long line of atrocities. There is no reason to rejoice, I feel.
I feel the same way. A bullet to the head may have been a justifiable conclusion to a gun battle, but it smells like an execution all the same. If the SEALs were able to take away Osama's dead body then it seems they might have taken him alive, which would have been preferable. It's a pity that the woman who was killed received so little notice. Rejoicing in bloodthirsty revenge is the wrong attitude here.

Last edited by skaltezon; 05-02-2011 at 07:18 PM.
skaltezon is offline   Reply With Quote