Music Banter - View Single Post - Fanboyism
Thread: Fanboyism
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2011, 04:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
starrynight
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
Okay there are loads of questions in there but I'm only going to answer a few right now then come back and answer more later.

I feel like it's fine to say you have a favorite band. The decision to say that or make that claim doesn't mean that you are limited to only listening to that one genre just because you have a favorite band.

I don't like when I ask someone what's their favorite band/artist and they go off on a tangent saying "oh I listen to so many bands/artists and I can't pick just one because I listen to everything but country"

Man up and pick one! it's not a life or death choice. You can always change it later on when someone else asks you the same question.

There is nothing wrong with having a favorite band/artist at any given time.

Right now I would say my favorite artist is Wale. Will he stay that way forever, No but at the moment I enjoy listening to his songs and mixtapes.

Just because I have a favorite Artist does that mean I only listen to him and no other genres?

No.
But you don't have to pick a favourite one. If some do that's their choice, but I don't think it is compulsory. It's like me trying to decide who was greater - Mozart or Beethoven. They are both great, but in different ways. How do you compare things which are completely different and in different styles too? Things can be just good in different ways. Music isn't a sport. Of course people at different times will listen to more of some kind of music than another, will have a particular enthusiasm at different times in their life. Really in popular music I like listening to a wide variety of different music. The amount of stuff available out there means I don't feel like just exploring a few in depth I'd rather look at a wide variety of different musicians.

Anyway my main point was not simply about picking out a favourite, people have always done that. I mean when it goes beyond that into a kind of defending of an artist beyond their music almost. I can't be bothered promoting people and saying this artist is the best and if you don't like it we have problems. People will listen to what they want and may dislike some of what I like, it doesn't give me insecurity issues though I'm confident in what I like lol.

I think it is very easy when there is so much music out there to jump on board popular and hip groups of the time. It can take alot of time and effort to look through other stuff that isn't so well known and I understand many won't have the time. But to idly say someone is the greatest ever at whatever, or totally original or most influential without having heard many other things seems presumptious at best. Just leave it at saying that someone is your present favourite, that you like their style, that others may not like that style as much and so be more critical. The main thing is I think to give a style a chance, to find what you like in it, than to say it is all crap or all incredible. Otherwise it can just seem too over the top and not relating completely to the music.
starrynight is offline   Reply With Quote