Music Banter - View Single Post - Rihanna
Thread: Rihanna
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2011, 06:53 AM   #145 (permalink)
Ben Butler
Music Addict

I can’t remember word for word what was said, but essentially it came down to this: Rihanna was sending “mixed messages to young girls” because she has been the victim of domestic violence and is now in a video “promoting violent sex.” Now, the radio hosts admitted it was “not her fault” she was involved in the former, but because of those circumstances she should not be promoting S&M. Which is apparently equated to “violent sex.”

Well ****, I know there are more public misconceptions about S&M than can probably be counted on all my hands and feet, but jeez. First off, BDSM - which is what is depicted in the video - is not inherently violent; it’s generally about control, power play, and trust. While yes, sometimes it involves pain as a form of or mixed with pleasure, that is not always the case. Just because I tie my lover up, does not mean I am hurting them. (I only do that if they ask for it!)

In other words, you cannot equate BDSM with domestic violence, etc. They are NOT THE SAME. Rihanna having been a victim of domestic violence has nothing to do with her portrayal (I’d hardly call it “promotion”) of BDSM in her music video.

And honestly, after watching the video and reading the lyrics myself, I feel as though it was more empowering for Rihanna than anything. Yes, she is depicted as being tied up/submissive in some scenes, but the majority show her as the dominant with men and other women tied up/on a leash/being whipped, etc. And all the reporters are the ones with ball gags in their mouths ha! It also gave the impression of being sex/BDSM positive.

I mean, correct me if I’m wrong on that point. I just watched it quickly, didn’t really analyze it too intently. Anyone else have anything to add?
Ben Butler is offline   Reply With Quote