Music Banter - View Single Post - Rihanna
Thread: Rihanna
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2011, 10:09 AM   #146 (permalink)
ilashes.
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Butler View Post
I can’t remember word for word what was said, but essentially it came down to this: Rihanna was sending “mixed messages to young girls” because she has been the victim of domestic violence and is now in a video “promoting violent sex.” Now, the radio hosts admitted it was “not her fault” she was involved in the former, but because of those circumstances she should not be promoting S&M. Which is apparently equated to “violent sex.”

Well ****, I know there are more public misconceptions about S&M than can probably be counted on all my hands and feet, but jeez. First off, BDSM - which is what is depicted in the video - is not inherently violent; it’s generally about control, power play, and trust. While yes, sometimes it involves pain as a form of or mixed with pleasure, that is not always the case. Just because I tie my lover up, does not mean I am hurting them. (I only do that if they ask for it!)

In other words, you cannot equate BDSM with domestic violence, etc. They are NOT THE SAME. Rihanna having been a victim of domestic violence has nothing to do with her portrayal (I’d hardly call it “promotion”) of BDSM in her music video.

And honestly, after watching the video and reading the lyrics myself, I feel as though it was more empowering for Rihanna than anything. Yes, she is depicted as being tied up/submissive in some scenes, but the majority show her as the dominant with men and other women tied up/on a leash/being whipped, etc. And all the reporters are the ones with ball gags in their mouths ha! It also gave the impression of being sex/BDSM positive.

I mean, correct me if I’m wrong on that point. I just watched it quickly, didn’t really analyze it too intently. Anyone else have anything to add?

Alright, let me clear something up. I do not believe s&m and domestic abuse are on the same scale at all, that is not what I said. I said that I feel like I am getting mixed messages about the content and direction of her song selection recently and there must be some validity in saying so if radio stations are broadcasting the same types of opinions.

It is easy to differentiate between the two when you sit there and pick the music video, lyrics and message apart and analyze it that way but what you're forgetting is that Rihannas demographic audience is young women ages 13-16 and that is not how the majority of young people interpret music. Maybe there are a few who are able to do what you're able to do and pull it apart and examine it that way but I assure you that the general population does not do that. They hear a song, they pull a message and my point was merely that the message to the appropriate demographic and even to me (someone who is clearly ignorant to the detailed content of what the components of s&m are) are confusing and misleading. Although you may not believe it to be the truth or something of fact, I am sure that you can understand how or possibly why the portrayal of Rihannas darker direction would raise some eyebrows after the past events with Chris Brown.

That is all I was trying to say