Music Banter - View Single Post - Do You Like or Dislike Women in Bands/as Singers
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2011, 06:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
s_k
Music Addict

Make a poll .

Dislike. I like my music to be solid, sound solid.
Female music usually sounds a bit... Whiny, and then I mean the music itself.
The extreme example of this is Coco Rosie. But Björk (altough I actually can't help but have a lot of respect for what she soes) is a good example too. I sometimes want to tell to them 'stop thinking and make music that has some feel'.
That's one part of the story.
On the other hand, I just like a voice to sound solid. Female vocals usually don't.
And when they do, they usually sound too rough/brutal.

I have always been very picky about my music. I like a lot of genres but I am very quickly distracted/annoyed by something in music. It's really a miracle that I have such a huge record collection

I have three records where a female singer does the lad vocals
No doubt - Tragic Kingdom. Out of youth nostalgia
Janis Joplin - Pearl. Because... Well she's as much as a woman singer as Tom Waits is
Earth & Fire - Self Titled. I don't listen to it all that often, but musically it's nice and the best song of the album, Seasons, is sung by a man, mainly .

By the way, I don't very often like high pitched male vocals like Bon Iver or Bonny 'prince' Billy. I don't dislike those two, but usually I get annoyed by vocals like that. I also dislike overdramatic (theatrical) vocals like Marillion's, Peter Gabriel's or Arcade Fire's.
Somehow I like Muse. Well, their first two albums. Strange thing.