Music Banter - View Single Post - Screaming at the Moon
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2011, 09:19 AM   #93 (permalink)
TheBig3
killedmyraindog

[Eric Turner]
Oh written in the stars
A million miles away
A message to the main
Ooooh
Seasons come and go
But I will never change
And I’m on my way

People say an awful lot by some of the stupid **** they do. As it relates to music, lyrics tell me too much.

Take the above example for instance. This is the refrain of some terrible ass rap song who’s verses are so terrible it defies description. But those are seemingly deliberate (as I imagine everything is when you talk about yourself). This refrain I’ve posted above is just filler, and it drives me ****ing nuts.

Let’s start from the start: In anything you do you can give 100%. Its used a lot in sports though I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a professional athlete give that much. In most things, doing 60% puts you well above the pack. Imagine for a second, if you would, putting countless hours into a song. Do you think, if you did that, you’d come up with something better than the refrain at the top? So do I.

Whats most disconcerting about this “effort” is that it doesn’t make any ****ing sense. First off, wtf is a Main? And why would you send messages to it? This sounds like ridiculous nit picking. “Come on man, its like, you know, a general sense of the word…like he’s sending this to everyone.” Is he? If that’s honestly what he was saying, that was the best phrase he could come up with? It doesn’t even ****ing rhyme with anything? Why would you say that?

Paul Simon once said “syllables matter.” He said that when he was asked why he used Joe DiMaggio in “Mrs. Robinson” as opposed to his favorite Yankee, Mickey Mantle. So, alright, syllables do matter…but I can’t imagine Simon backing up Mr. Turner. 6 syllables were all he needed. One starts to imagine that he’d have made more sense if Main was “Maine” or “Mane.” All three are crazy illogical, but there might have been some misconstrued inference in the latter 2.

And I feel like the time invested in these lyrics are now coming up on nearly 3 times the amount by the original author, but if you take nothing else from this, let it at least be that

1. Someone is going to look this closely at what you do and…
2. Great artists (great anythings really) will put this much effort into everything.

The “plot” of this refrain also start to make you wonder if they didn’t just do a melody recording with words thrown in for the hell of it and decided after one take that, yeah this will do. So theres some message written in stars a million miles away. First of all, unless its God, who the **** is writing this message? And who’s the message for? Who reads stars? The Mayans? Either this artist “Tinih Tempah” (which, for the record, is a TERRIBLE NAME) is some sort of super hero, or this is supposed to be metaphorical. If that’s the case, you wouldn’t see stars a million miles away, so what’s that say about you? Even when you try and salvage it by factoring in the speed of light, which is well over a million miles per second (299, 792, 458 to be exact, almost 3 times), then why even mention that the stars are that far away?

I’ll tell you why, you lazy ****, because you didn’t do a ****ing lick of research and it smacks me in the face everytime Kiss 108 plays your half-hit wonder on the ****ing radio. You’re a throw-away artist just like every other R&B infused, synthed to death, pop song that’s come out since Boy Bands died a horrible, horrible death in 2003.

Folks, lyrics matter. You can’t say “well this song is ****ing killer, so lets just rush through the refrain and sell it on the body. You know why, because not everyone likes the body, and if you really want to make a classic song, or convey emotions accurately, then you don’t rush through anything. Michael Stipe once said if it were up to hi they’d still be remixing murmur. I don’t think that’s necessary, but do something. It’s a sad day when you can’t even be bothered to work at your day job, let alone hide the fact that you’re a studio musician showing up for a paycheck.