Music Banter - View Single Post - Review: 1989's The Offspring (The Offspring)
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2011, 01:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
BastardofYoung
Buzz Killjoy

Out of the first 3 albums, this one is fun, but my least favorite. To me the album is no more than a poor mans version of T.S.O.L. ("Beheaded" lifts so much from "Code Blue" for example).

The album is rather uninspired and mediocre. A few decents riffs, but the lack of originality really kills it from being a stand out. "Ignition" was a much better album and of course "Smash", though being a commercial album now, was also the better album, they hit the high point with that one in terms of creating an album that was solid, well put together and more memorable.

The self-titled album is a curiosity listen. Something one may listen to to hear a band who had yet to find their identity and opted instead to just try and be a clone of other bands from the scene. Be it T.S.O.L., The Adolescents or others.

Good once in a while, just do not go into it looking for something original or mind blowing.

‎"I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people." - Jack Handey.
BastardofYoung is offline   Reply With Quote