Music Banter - View Single Post - Review: 1989's The Offspring (The Offspring)
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2011, 02:55 PM   #14 (permalink)
BastardofYoung
Buzz Killjoy

Later stuff to me was nothing great.

"Ixnay".. had it's moments, had a few flunks to me ("Me and My Old Lady", "Mota" and a few others) but showed a band that at the very least tried to seperate themselves from "Smash" knowing they could not repeat it. So tried something new. "The Meaning of Life" and "Gone Away" were both well written songs as well. Overall, it is not my favorite, and showed the direction they would go after..

I think "Americana" was a decent album, if you remove the poor choices of hits. But the rest of the album was actually pretty good. It would be the last album by them I would actually enjoy. I think after that they got to goofy for my tastes.

I have not listened to "Splinter" or "RAF..." too much. I remember the last one trying to recapture their old sound a bit and connect with the old fan base. Trouble with that being I think the majority of the fanbase who liked them from those days just lost interest in them and it was not all that special.

It is much like "Death Magnetic" by Metallica. Too little to late to recapture the old sound, at that time, it was a good attempt but now felt forced and contrived to me.

‎"I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people." - Jack Handey.
BastardofYoung is offline   Reply With Quote