Music Banter - View Single Post - Favourite love song?
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2011, 06:05 AM   #516 (permalink)
Zaqarbal
Music Addict

Love between strangers: I guess Sinatra comes to mind....

...but my favourite song about it is this one:

Presuntos Implicados: La flor de la mañana ("The Morning Flower").

♫ "Eran sólo dos extraños ................................ They were just two strangers
concediéndose deseos ................................ granting each other's wishes
como dos enamorados, ................................ like lovers do,
que vaciaron sus manos ................................ and they emptied their hands
de desengaños y miedos ................................ of disappointments and fears
y de afecto las llenaron. ................................ and fill them up with affection.

Calmaron con fresas su hambre, ................................ They eased their hunger with strawberries,
con vino su sed, ................................ their thirst with wine,
y el frío con su calor. ................................ and the cold with their warmth.
Y el sueño venció, ................................ And sleep overcame,
la mañana volvió, ................................ morning came again,
y pensaron los dos: ................................ and they both thought:

¿Qué habrá tras tu mirada, ................................ What is there behind your gaze,
que tanto oculta y tanto da? ................................ that hides and shows so many things?
Vuelve a la cama a soñar, ................................ Come back to bed and dream,
que amor que mucho piensa ................................ because a love that thinks too much
verás como comienza, ................................ shows its own beginning,
y entonces pronto acabará. ................................ so it might end up soon.
La flor de la mañana hoy ................................ Today you sowed the morning flower
sembraste en mi ventana ................................ at my window
fingiendo que fingías ................................ while you pretended to be pretending
que me amabas. ................................ to be in love with me.

Y prometieron locuras, ................................ And they promised crazy things,
y cumplieron las promesas, ................................ and they kept their promises,
y se derramó ternura, ................................ and tenderness was spilt,
y confundieron sus cuerpos ................................ and they blended their bodies
en un solo abrazo largo, ................................ in one single long hug,
como dos enamorados. ................................ like lovers do.
Calmaron con fresas su hambre, ................................ They eased their hunger with strawberries,
con vino su sed, ................................ their thirst with wine,
y el frío con su calor. ................................ and the cold with their warmth.
Y el sueño venció, ................................ And sleep overcame,
la mañana volvió, ................................ morning came again,
y pensaron los dos: ................................ and they both thought:

¿Qué habrá tras tu mirada, ................................ What is there behind your gaze,
que tanto oculta y tanto da? ................................ that hides and shows so many things?
Vuelve a la cama a soñar, ................................ Come back to bed and dream,
que amor que mucho piensa ................................ because a love that thinks too much
verás como comienza, ................................ shows its own beginning,
y entonces pronto acabará. ................................ so it might end up soon.
La flor de la mañana hoy ................................ Today you sowed the morning flower
fingiendo que fingías ................................ while you pretended to be pretending

" ♫

I love this: "...you pretended to be pretending to be in love with me". The original sweetness (phonetics, sound, voice, cadence...) is probably "lost in translation", but I think the deepest meaning is universally understandable.