Music Banter - View Single Post - Production That Makes or Breaks a Song
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2011, 12:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
duga
MB quadrant's JM Vincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
Another band who's production I've never really liked despite being a favourite of mine is Motorhead.
You'd think with Lemmy being the band leader that Motorhead albums would have real powerful pounding basslines, but because of the way he plays it just sounds like a slightly lower toned lead guitar and it just makes the music feel a little flat & tinny. I can't think of a single Motorhead album where the production really packs a punch and i've always found that a shame.
I think Jimmy Miller probably came closest on Overkill.
I think that sound works sometimes...there are definitely certain songs where I feel it played out nicely. I do tend to agree with you for most of their material, though. Even when I crank up the bass on my speakers, it still sounds like crap. Oh well...it's a shame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
One producer I particularly like is Martin Hannett. I've seen various people including members of Joy Division slate his production, especially on Unknown Pleasures but I think that he made that album sound so unique it's one of the reasons it's held in such high regard.
If Joy Division had better production, I wouldn't listen to it. The fact that it sounds like it was recorded in a basement by someone with a razor blade in one hand the a guitar in the other is kind of the appeal of the band. In fact, it has always kind of bothered me that New Order used Ceremony when they were first starting. The crappy demo with Ian Curtis on vocals, despite it being REALLY rough, is still better than the New Order version. It loses its edge with that production.