Music Banter - View Single Post - Music Education
Thread: Music Education
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2011, 09:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Burning Down
The Music Guru.

I just finished my third year of studying music in university. I hope to be a teacher by the end of it, but I have a couple of years to go before I graduate. Music education is not a program at my school, however, music education classes are available to those who wish to go in that direction. I haven't taken any yet because they are 4th year courses.

I only had to take aural skills in first year and keyboard in second year. Next year I get to take courses learning the basics of how to play other instruments. Percussion is mandatory, the other instruments groups are electives but they are recommended for people who want to be teachers in schools.

I played in the flute ensemble for the first two years and concert band and orchestra this year. Also finished my 14th year of flute lessons (yeah I started playing at age 7).

By the way I am working on getting an Honours Bachelor of Music (B.Mus) degree, but I could also go for the simpler B.A. in Music and then get an M.Mus in grad school if I choose to do so.

When I finish my undergraduate education, I can do a 1-2 year Bachelor of Education program and then get licensed to teach in schools here. I'm aiming to teach in high school but I might start with elementary for a couple of years.

It's cool to know that there is somebody else taking music in university here. I thought I was the only one!
Burning Down is offline   Reply With Quote