Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Computer Tech Support Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2011, 01:31 AM   #965 (permalink)
ThePhanastasio
Killed Laura Palmer

I have two laptops at present which both refuse to work. Getting the BSoD on both, with the same error message. A disk check on the laptop I've had since 05 yielded unsettling results: The hard drive has an error in port 1 and is not functioning.

Now, I'm assuming that the laptop running Vista is very much in the same boat, as the BSoD messages are identical as to what the perceived problem is. I would really like both laptops to function, but I really don't want to take it into a repair shop, and would like to somewhat "fix it myself".

I have a shared laptop on which I don't download music or anything of the sort, and my budget (as I've got plans for the summer and need to really watch my cash flow) is right about where I'd be able to purchase a single external hard drive of 2TB.

If I were to get this, I'd really like to be able to run Linux in lieu of Windows, with which I strongly wish to part ways.

Is there any feasible way I could download Linux onto an external drive and boot the laptops via Firewire or USB using that OS, completely disregarding the internal drives as lost causes?

It's a hand-me-down, the thoughts are broken
Perhaps they're better left unsung
ThePhanastasio is offline   Reply With Quote