Music Banter - View Single Post - Sounds Like Bin Laden's Dead
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2011, 07:21 AM   #424 (permalink)
Zaqarbal
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3 View Post
I like how its only America thats got one ******* for every civilized person. You know, you sent us these ****ing people. Its not our fault the English tried to starve your race. If I were a lesser man, I'd make a comment to the effect that your countries avoided major foreign policy f-ups because they've been too drunk to function.

But I won't do that because I've got Irish ancestry. So if you think I'm an *******, you can blame Ireland.

America isn't the worlds greatest everything. We've got problems, and we've got people in elected office looking to shut down a lot of our foreign interventions. Thanks to the Paul family, Blowback is now being discussed in Presidential Primaries. The MIC is being actually removed.

What I still don't get from the non-American dissenters here is why you insist on making this an issue about how ALL of america is out in the street celebrating murder. Don't you think that sounds a little ridiculous? First of all, its mostly college kids who are notoriously dopes to begin with. Secondly, our government, who according to our friend here is such a **** up, handled this situation with dignity and class.

If this is, in fact, just anti-american sentiment, I'm a little more than disappointed in the posters here. I joined these boards as President Bush was reelected and I thought it was the height of AA fervor. Unfortunately it wasn't a fervor, it was a general bigotry it seems, and I think its pretty said to paint a nation of millions with the same brush.
In a certain way, I empathize with you. Ideed, as Jean-François Rebel says, there is an "anti-American obsession" nowadays. But that kind of hostile propaganda is not new. Historically speaking, the World's predominant power has always been demonized and, its defects, exaggerated. For instance, when discussing about a historical issue with someone, many times I face Hispanophobic clichés and gross exaggerations. That's what many Historians call "the Black Legend". The anti-American obsession is somehow the modern equivalent of our black legend. As Historian William S. Maltby said in 1969:

Quote:
Originally Posted by William S. Maltby
In more ways than one, the position of the United States in the twentieth century approximates that of Spain in the sixteenth. Wielding enormous power in the defense of an essentially conservative ideal, it finds itself object of hatred and jealousy to friends and foes alike. No one who reads the newspaper can doubt that a new Black Legend is being assembled by the nations of the world, or that America is the intended victim. Like Spain, it has indulged its passion for self-criticism to the fullest; and in the end, its fate may be the same.