Music Banter - View Single Post - Music Education
Thread: Music Education
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2011, 09:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
Burning Down
The Music Guru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGPercussion View Post
Nope! I thought I was the only one...how much theory have you had? I'm earning a Bachelors of Music Education degree from my university. If you want to read up on more theory, I can hook you up with two really good books that you can download online for free (legally).
I have lots of theory courses under my belt, through private education, however at school I had to take one theory course in first year and one in second year. The first year course is a basic theory course, but it builds off the stuff you already had to know to get into the program, and then second year the course is more advanced.

I have a collection of material on theory already, maybe 12 or 13 books dealing with topics that range from basic theory like how to read music and tabs all the way to post-tonal counterpoint, so I think I'm good for now, but thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonlitSunshine View Post
BD, I don't know what a BMusEd (or bemused, as they like to call themselves here) consists of over there, but it's a pretty vicious timetable of constant lectures in my college: do you find that it's a lot of work?
I'm not in a music education program at the moment because my university doesn't offer it as a separate program, just courses (that I haven't taken yet). But the regular B.Mus program can be tough at times. Although my school only admits 30-40 people each year into the music program, so the classes for the first couple of years are not exactly like lectures, they are more like grade school classes. Though classes like History of Western Art Music and Pop Music History are lectures because they are also offered as electives to students from other programs. The timetable is not bad - each semester there is usually a day that I either have off or where there is only one class.

For a lot of the classes though, like theory or analysis for example, there are usually weekly or bi-weekly assignments to be completed, i.e. you get a short assignment on Monday and it's due the following Monday. Which is not bad, but it adds on to the bigger assignments you need to have prepared for the history courses and any other elective courses. I'm also taking classes in Political Science, where professors rely on you handing in a lengthy research paper or opinion paper in order to mark you. So the work load is heavy at times. Not to mention that I have to devote time to practice flute! All the lesson teachers recommend 2-3 hours a day, of course, but that's not entirely possible with all the other stuff required of you, unless you don't have a social life
Burning Down is offline   Reply With Quote