Music Banter - View Single Post - Going dutch ;)
Thread: Going dutch ;)
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2011, 06:08 PM   #69 (permalink)
Astronomer
we are stardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_k View Post
I'm really sorry to break your bubble. But I do know a lot of autistic adolescents and adults and it's an entirely different story there. Most people with autism get into real trouble when they're about 20 and life is asking stuff from them. It's true that kids can be happy and I am glad they can be. But autism really ruins your life. Even if you're as lucky as I consider myself to be.
I still disagree, I'm sorry. I know plenty of autistic people who are over 20. A lot of past students of our school come and volunteer and they're all well above 20 years of age. I can safely say that 100% of them are happy and in situations where they have a job, can make a living, and lead a pretty 'normal' life. When I studied my degree in disability I majored in ASD (I do not have autism, so I by no means no what it is like to live with it, but this means that I have come in contact with A LOT of people who live with it and am aware of the brain mechanics of it) and the number one thing we learnt is how important it is that these individuals assimilate into society and build up a successful life for themselves. If you haven't managed to do this and you think that your autism has "ruined your life" then it actually breaks my heart and I think you should seek out some help services that will allow you to do so. Because autism by no means "ruins lives." Yes, being on the spectrum may mean that life is often challenging and things may be a little more difficult. Yes, it means that sometimes people may judge you and conflicts may arise. But no, I certainly do not believe that autism will "ruin your life," and of the many austistic adults I know, I don't think any of them would say that autism has ruined their life, most of them are employed, some have partners and children, all of them are very happy with the life they have forged for themselves. So I hope that one day you can seek help and I wish you luck in living a successful and happy life that is not "ruined" by autism, because noone on the autism spectrum should have to feel that it has ruined their life
Astronomer is offline   Reply With Quote