Music Banter - View Single Post - Last Audio-related question
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2011, 03:59 PM   #13 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_k View Post
It also depends quite a bit on your equipment.

Another fun one: The difference between a cheap ass audio interlink and a more expensive one (well, actually it's cheaper, but I made it myself so I could choose the materials myself ). The difference is probably bigger than the one between lossy and lossless. Hearing is believing
Truth. A majority of folks are listening to their music on consumer-quality gear, which doesn't do much in the way of critical listening. Even my setup, which is composed of a quality recording audio interface, and mid-grade studio monitors, doesn't afford me the absolute optimal critical listening experience. And it goes beyond that, to the listening environment, speaker placement (like you were saying, s_k) and down to even cabling and isolation.

Would the majority of consumer-listeners notice a difference? Probably not. And I think that's where critical listeners really stand apart, because even on crap equipment, they will notice discrepancies... whereas most consumer-listeners may just accept what they're hearing as the norm, unless there's a glaring problem.
Freebase Dali is offline   Reply With Quote