Music Banter - View Single Post - Metal & Rock Music Recommendations
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2011, 06:09 PM   #486 (permalink)
almauro
Way Out There

Quote:
Originally Posted by BastardofYoung View Post
I always viewed Isis as Neurosis Jr. personally. Both bands are great in their own right, but I would say Neurosis is the better of the two.
Your being unreasonable by calling Isis "jr" Neurosis. Certainly they were influenced by them, but over series of great albums, they forged their own identity. Furthermore, I really don't think their albums sound that similar at all.

I love Neurosis, but they also covered other genres other than post metal, so even though they helped pioneer it, I'd say Isis would be a better example for a first timer delving into p-m. Neurosis albums include post-metal songs, as well as a lot of other styles, similar to Swans albums of the 90's, which were highly diverse. Neurosis offered up a combination of post, sludge and industrial metal. Isis made post-metal album, through and through, sticking to that style through out, which again makes them a better example for a newbie.

Determining which group is better "metal" band is a tough call, but...I just may end up agreeing with you. But if you're talking "post" metal, I'm sticking with Isis.

Last edited by almauro; 05-09-2011 at 06:38 PM.
almauro is offline   Reply With Quote