Music Banter - View Single Post - The Explain Why You Like This Album ('cause i don't understand) Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2011, 10:22 PM   #845 (permalink)
debaserr
eat the masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by duga View Post

Can - Tago Mago

I think I may have brought this album up in this thread a while back, but I need to talk about it again. I've just given this another run (I'd say roughly my 10th listen). I finally got through the whole thing. Why has it been so hard? Because I just don't freaking get the last half of this album. Why do I keep listening to it? Because the first half of this album is really damn good. Every time I've listened to it so far, I've found myself getting really into it and thinking "Surely I just missed something...this is great, the second half has got to have something". Then a few minutes into Aumgn, I just lose it. This album has been the biggest anomaly in my collection. I feel as if I could love it, but I can't. It is driving me nuts. I want to love it. I hear the potential, but my brain is just not clicking with all of it.

So someone please explain the second half of this album. Tago Mago has received a lot of praise on this forum, so someone explain how you got into the whole thing.
where is your cut-off for the first half? after oh yeah or halleluhwah?

at first I just liked the first three songs. then after a few more listens I started to really get into halleluhwah. it's hypnotic and has some great solos scattered about.

aumgn is a different story. it's certainly among the strangest songs I've ever loved. I imagine experiencing it on psychedelics would be a severe mind-****. I suggest revisiting it when you feel you can give it a fair shake.

it's by no means flawless, but how many double LPs are?