Music Banter - View Single Post - Music Education
Thread: Music Education
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2011, 08:59 AM   #11 (permalink)
Burning Down
The Music Guru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGPercussion View Post
Nice! I only have one real theory course so far, but we covered everything from very basic reading into chords, scales and modes, cadences, nonharmonic tones, sequences and periods, and basic analysis.
Yep, that's pretty much what both of my courses consisted of!

Quote:
I am and personally, its quite a course load. My first semester, I took Introduction To Western Music, Guitar Techniques, Marching Band, Keyboard Techniques I, Applied Percussion, Recital Attendance, Freshman Survival Skills I: Fine Arts, Character & Wellness, Communication Skills, Physical Geology (and lab).

This semester, I was in Concert Band, Applied Percussion, The Theory & Practice Of Music I, Aural Skills I, Keyboard Techniques II, Recital Attendance, String Techniques, Introduction To Philosophy, College Composition I & II, and Freshman Survival Skills II: Fine Arts.

And next semester I am in Marching Band, Applied Percussion, Recital Attendance, Aural Skills II, The Theory & Practice Of Music II, Trumpet Class, Clarinet Class, Applied Piano, Applied Cello, Basic Conducting, Educational Psychology, and Introduction To Teaching (and Practicum).
That is a lot! I'm guessing some of those were electives? I think of all the music courses you listed there, I've taken similar ones so far. Of the instrument oriented courses, I've only done Keyboard, but for next year I'm hoping to get into a Woodwind course, hopefully to play clarinet because I already own one!

Quote:
Yeah, keeping up with practicing is a major pain for me...and you're lucky you only get an assignment or two per week! My theory class meets MWF, and has assignments every day due the following class period. Same with Aural Skills.
My aural skills class in first year was like that. We met Tuesday and Friday, and there was something due for each class. We had to download media files and basically transcribe them.
Burning Down is offline   Reply With Quote