Music Banter - View Single Post - Which comes first, chorus or verses?
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2011, 09:09 AM   #16 (permalink)
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra
\/ GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by oojay View Post
Usually a skeleton break-down works the best for me. I have an overall message. Hit each point with a verse that coresponds to the overall theme. Fill in the blanks with a chorus.
See, I don't understand that. I mean, if you're using a timed guideline, and just filling in the blanks, are you really writing the song, or are you simply changing interchangeable pieces on the same song?

I personally just feel writing that way takes a song down a notch. If a line shouldn't be in a song, then why would it be in a song? Filling in the blanks is just sort of a way to force one to pad down a work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonlitSunshine View Post
Generally, any song I think of starts with a motif or a rhyming scheme that gets stuck in my head, and I start to play around with it. It can end up being part of the verse or the chorus or neither, it all depends on where it fits and what occurs to me first. That said, my experience with song writing is entirely theoretical and has only started occuring within the last 6 months, I haven't actually gotten around to writing anything down yet, though there are a lot of half-songs floating around in my head...
To me, this seems the most logical approach mentioned. As any art form, it starts out an idea, an object. The secret of songwriting, from my findings, is to allow that object to gradually mold with time. Maybe it's just a personal preference, but it's never steered me wrong.
Terence Hill, as recently confirmed during an interview to an Italian TV talk-show, was offered the role but rejected it because he considered it "too violent". Dustin Hoffman and John Travolta declined the role for the same reason. When Al Pacino was considered for the role of John Rambo, he turned it down when his request that Rambo be more of a madman was rejected.
Al Pacino = God
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra is offline   Reply With Quote