Music Banter - View Single Post - Alcoholism
Thread: Alcoholism
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2011, 02:18 PM   #38 (permalink)
Sansa Stark
Account Disabled

Alcoholism and addiction in general is rampant in my family. I myself, am a drug addict. I have been clean since July of last year though.

The main thing is, that you realise that you have a problem. As cliche as it sounds, that REALLY is the first step in recovering. I did NA for a while, which of course is similar to Alcoholics Anonymous. I really encourage you to utilise their services and use this
Alcoholics Anonymous :

to find a meeting in your area. If you don't agree with some of the **** they are preaching, nbd. You'll get a great support system, which at this time in your recovery, you'll really, really need. Everyone in the meetings I've been to has been really friendly and genuinely willing to help you if you ask them. So really, don't be afraid to go to a meeting, I would advise going now, since there are meetings everyday of the week.

If you feel that AA is not right for you, maybe consider seeing a psychiatrist or psychologist to get to the underlying reason of why you drink so much. In my case, the reason I did so many pills is because they put me on a level emotional and behavioural plane. I got onto a medication that would do that without taking anything away, and it's been extremely beneficial to living a "normal" life. As I said in the chat before, I went from being a promiscuous little hooligan who took 6 yrs to graduate high school, to getting mostly A's & a B (lol) in college and being a stable, loving, monogamous relationship. And I'm actually happy. I'm not going to lie and say that it wasn't really, really ****ing hard emotionally and mentally to get to where I am now, but if I can do it in the span a little under the year, just imagine what you yourself can accomplish. But you really just have to get out there and try.

Anyway, I'm not a professional, far from it. But this is what I did, and hopefully you can be successful in getting clean too. It is possible.
Sansa Stark is offline   Reply With Quote