Music Banter - View Single Post - Ives Plays Ives: The Complete Recordings of Charles Ives [SAA Album Club discussion]
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2011, 05:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
TockTockTock
They/Them

Might as well give my take on it... I can't say that it's a compilation that I'll listen to all in one sitting, but I know I will listen to a few tracks every now and then in the future (it's growing on me a bit).

Unlike that asinine debate over Cage's affiliation with classical music, it's very clear that this work has roots in the genre. Charles Ives' use of dissonance and atypical patterning of notes (or however you say it), though, brings it more into the realm of avant-garde. I will admit that sitting through the album was a bit exhausting the first go-around, but when I listened to it a second time... well, I have to say it was worth it.

This was my first exposure to pre-WWII avant-garde music, and I can definitely say that I will be listening to some more in the future.

I apologize for not posting a more in-depth review of the album, but I felt that it deserves some more discussion at this point.
TockTockTock is offline   Reply With Quote