Music Banter - View Single Post - Lady Gaga
Thread: Lady Gaga
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2011, 07:18 PM   #2225 (permalink)
Sparky
not really

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaligojurah View Post
Well, then, Kurt Cobain's 'staff' has probably been doing so from beyond the grave. I have people STILL hocking 'I love Cobain' shirts.
Because no other dead musician has t-shirts, maybe you should go to walmart real quick.
Quote:
Regardless, I don't know how to disagree any further with his videos not being a major factor. Because they were THE factor that sold him. Not to say his music was bad, but it was overhyped.
They were a major factor, but not as predominant a factor as they are to lady gaga.
Quote:
Furthermore, Cobain could have still not answered to threats of firing people he 'liked'. He's not heroic for that.
Exactly, it makes him a normal ass dude which i like.

Quote:
Now, as for the Gaga fad. I agree, it's far. In fact, it's incredibly dangerous. Especially for the incredibly impressionable group who are so extreme that she is their lives. Factually, they're not out there, but they're probably out there in the thousands. It shelters them from an alternate world, and is extremely exploitive. Her manipulation of technological mediums sadly give her more power than one would think.

Gaga is an 80s dystopian cyberpunk writer's wet dream, and to think that one decade removed HBO's focus was on George Carlin standups, and now is on Gaga concerts speaks volumes of the cultural devolution of our society.

I feel that some may see it as a nuisance, but I honestly feel Gaga is an insult to basic human logic, and philosophy as a whole. However, the stigma of Nirvana, whether it's Kurt Cobain's fault or not, is almost as damaging.

I just wish sometimes people would step back a bit, and realise how out of hand this hero worship stuff actually gets, and exactly how disturbed I am that one person writes a handful of mediocre, dated, uninteresting pop songs, and explodes to such a huge size that he or she completely overshadows the artform. To the point she has an army of people who seemingly mold their entire life around everything she says, as if she's the second coming(and oh... as if she's not proliferating 'hints' at this possibility).

My obsession is a cry to logic, if anything. I don't want people to feel as if I'm bullying, trolling, or just being an ignorant ass. I think there's a very deep philosophical dilemma that Gaga brings to our culture, and it's only fair that it's brought to the table from an uncensored perspective.

Dude, are you ****ing new to entertainment or something?

It's not like this is anything new, and citing HBO as an example of the difference older and newer society is ****ing retarded. It seems like you are just as impressionable as these teenage girls by television.

Like you said its a fad, and these girls will be sick of her relatively soon. It's really not that different from My Chemical Romance a couple years ago.

Me, personally, am more creeped out by this royal wedding bull****, like am i missing something, it's just a wedding? Then why the **** am i sposed to care?

You make it sound like Lady Gaga is singlehandidly brainwashing the youth, but look up ODD Future or insaine clown posse if you want real cult following.

Last edited by Sparky; 05-09-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote