Music Banter - View Single Post - Alcoholism
Thread: Alcoholism
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2011, 10:33 PM   #55 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hip hop bunny hop View Post
I'd recommend you replace drinking with positive, life affirming selfish activities like exercising and ****ing.

Consider, if you were drinking four cases a week, that's 120 beers. If the average caloric content of each beer is 150 calories, that's an extra 18,000 calories weekly; mind, alcohol calories are entirelly empty. Further, as alcohol negates the bodies ability to absorb vitamins and minerals, and as it can actually accelerate the destruction of muscle fibres..... a daily exercise routine and a reasonable diet should be adopted.

This would have a few benefits: (1) falling asleep will be easier, (2) your metabolism will improve, (3) your body will be able to absorb essential vitamins & minerals much easier, & (4) your self-image will improve.
Further, I realize this is sensitive, but if you're pushing 20 beers a night..... there are effects on guys. A regular exercise routine would counteract this, and would make (better looking) ladies find you more desirable.
Yeah, this is hard advice to follow, but anyone struggling with a problem could try to break things down into small, acheiveable steps. To me,fighting addictions is like breaking in a horse : first get some semblance of control, then try and tighten the reins a little bit more each week.
A first step could be one of the limiting rules that I`ve already noticed on this thread:
* don`t drink before 9pm
* don`t be drunk around sober people
* don`t drink on your own
If you`re lucky, in the space of about 2 weeks, your rule will have become a habit and you can move on to another step.
You also need to recognize your vulnerable moments and try to pre-empt them. If you feel low when you get home from a day`s work for example, try going to a Starbucks or something instead. Have a snack, a walk, a shower, anything to postpone or dodge that moment of weakness. If you drink too much at parties - don`t go to the party!
Something else I`ve noticed with booze is that if you drink on Monday night, you`ll have real trouble sleeping on Tuesday night. One solution might be loads of Vit. C on Tuesday evening. Having a drink in order to sleep is not a good idea - it just pushes the problem along to the next evening.

The main thing is to stay focused on the benefits above, but don`t expect miracles.
Or you could ignore my advice, and go to AA or a doctor instead. Whatever you do, anyone struggling with these problems has my sympathy.
Lisnaholic is offline   Reply With Quote