Music Banter - View Single Post - Analysis/Breakdown of Aesop Rock's lyrics
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2011, 01:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Mrd00d
Stoned and Jammin' Out

Default Analysis/Breakdown of Aesop Rock's lyrics

I feel I have studied Aesop Rock's discography long enough to be able to provide a sort of reference booklet for his songs. I've seen a lot of people asking for interpretations of verses on youtube, on last.fm, on forums... and I'm hoping to take a stab at this and get started.

I find it completely reasonable to say that there could be an upper division English/Literature class in college related to studying Aesop's wordplay and ciphers. His poems may often have more than one meaning, depending on the listener. So feel free to chime in if you have a different analysis of what's going on. It's all in good fun, for me. I would like to be able to 'Where's Waldo' all the pop culture references, all the symbolisms and double entendres, etc.

For an example, I was showing some of my friends a track, and a particular line that I really thought was clever. Their primary language is Spanish, but they generally understand and speak English, as a second language. The humor of the line "You should have shot yourself in the foot while it was in your mouth" was lost on them. Until I explained that it was a combination of two sayings, as it were: Shot yourself in the foot, and having your foot in your mouth... the former meaning you screw yourself, and the latter meaning you're talking out of your ass, and combined, you get a good ol' fashioned 'kill yourself, you moron'.

Let's rock and roll. I've got one I did in notepad last night, so I'm ready to rock off with one. I'm going to have an index with links here as it expands:

1. None Shall Pass
2. Keep Off the Lawn

Last edited by Mrd00d; 05-11-2011 at 03:42 AM.
Mrd00d is offline   Reply With Quote