Music Banter - View Single Post - Michael Jackson - Bad
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2011, 03:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
starrynight
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badlittlekitten View Post
abandoning the suppleness of good disco/soul musicians
I think I prefer this earlier sound with him.

Quote:
The thing that strikes me about this record is the production and how awful it is
And maybe much of it is.

Quote:
You see there’s something about the 1980’s desire for the ultimate in digital slickness and precision
I think that is more from an American perspective, which could have a more hard edged slickness. While there is obviously some good music from there in the 80s I might actually prefer more from outside America some of which can be supple, a bit more cutting sometimes, soulful even in a way and perhaps more variety too. Also I think the 90s had a big fondness for slickness in mainstream pop, and even the 2000s. Though I do think there is more to pop than just the most mainstream stuff and people define it too narrowly nowadays (I don't think they did before the 90s).

Quote:
The stuff pop dreams are made of! And the true King Of Pop, then at his peak, telling the world how things are really goin’ down in the streetz.
I think it's arguable whether he is the King of Pop, that term was invented later in the early 90s by a record company anyway.

Quote:
Bad was the very first album that I heard as a child, and it’s this moment of ingenious and sonic clarity that triggers the half memories of me, mimicking Jackson’s moves in my front room, doing a good impression of him until it got to the ‘lean’, and being in awe of this superstar.
It's definitely got some nostalgia for you then, I don't have that with it.

Quote:
Throughout his career Jackson has showed a knack for instinctual interpretation of rhythm with his yelps and percussive vocal tics.
From what I remember Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' might be the best example of that.

Quote:
the album that bares the most fingerprints of this rare, unique talent.
I like Thriller more I think.
starrynight is offline   Reply With Quote