Music Banter - View Single Post - Paul McCartney - The REAL King of Pop?
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2011, 07:19 AM   #28 (permalink)
TheBig3
killedmyraindog

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrynight View Post
Well many of his Beatles songs he wrote alone anyway. Even post-Beatles he's done a variety of things. The names you mention I don't think have been going long enough to make a valid comparison.
No, probably not. But my point was that, in their short time, they've expanded what a "base sound" is in pop music. I'm saying pop songs will inherently sound dated as technology advances. Not to mention these songs are made to fit the times. Even Madonna, who has every right at the throne has a catalog that sounds old at this point.

Its not a dispersion. Pop, more than most other genres (can't think of another one), requires the existence of fore-bearers. It moves so fast that as an artist you need to focus on whats relevant. Things like choreography, arrangements, hell even musical theory requires a "team" over time to build. Where was back-up dancing before MJ? No where. Now everyone does it.

Where was stylistic change ups before Madonna? No where. Now everyone has a spanish song no matter how gringo because of her.

Where was the bass-less funk song before Prince? No where. He was just that nuts. And now ridiculous instrument choices are the soup de jur. (no idea if thats correct).

You need precedent for the extra stuff, but Pop rarely has a classic save for a handful of songs.