Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2011, 12:45 PM   #5674 (permalink)
Sansa Stark
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Duce View Post
^^what's a BAMF?

I generally have higher regard for Bowie than I used to
Bad ass mother****er, yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
Who s_k or Bowie?
Bowie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Pat View Post
"Walk on the Wild Side" is a track from Lou Reed's solo album, Transformer. It's not a V.U. song.

Also, I was referring to the time period when they released their debut album (which was in 1967). The Velvet Underground & Nico only peaked at #171 on the Billboard album charts. There's even a famous quote by Brian Eno which says how the album sold poorly, but everyone who bought one made a band. The 60's weren't all that good to them in terms of media exposure.

By the way, when did "Sweet Jane" ever get airplay?
Walk On The Wild Side is an amazing, amazing pop song. Just puttin' it out there

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_k View Post
I don't really care for nirvana all that much, so I didn't even ... oh wait, the man who sold the world? I prefer Nirvana's version. But I don't think the song is that interesting to start with.
I just don't get bowie. For two reasons
1. It sounds out of the ordinary, but still loads of people love bowie. Even people who usually listen to very 'mainstream' music

2. I don't see anything interesting in his songs, in his voice, whatever. I don't see him as a good singer or as a good songwriter.
You don't see anything interesting because EVERYBODY RIPPED HIM THE **** OFF. Seriously, Bowie is a much cooler equivalent to the Beatles in that he influenced the **** out of some of our greatest musical movements

Not only that, he made this possible

And the awesome album that contains it.

Not only that, but I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that he made people way more open to gender bending and bisexuality. Sure, that has an absolutely fascinating history to it, but David Bowie kind of brought it to everyone's household and was totally balls out about it.
Sansa Stark is offline   Reply With Quote