Music Banter - View Single Post - Crosswalking
Thread: Crosswalking
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2011, 11:39 PM   #44 (permalink)
Paedantic Basterd
Music Addict

The Reader's Digest version. So many releases, so little time.

Violent Soho - Violent Soho (2011)

Three things that should never have been revived: 1) 80's neon clothing, 2) Imhotep from The Mummy, 3) Grunge.

Mélanie Laurent - En T'attendant (2011)

Mélanie Laurent, French actress better known as one of Quentin Tarrantino's Basterds, produces a wispy pop album leaning heavily on Charlotte Gainsbourg's discography, but without the benefits of Beck or Jarvis Cocker sitting in the pilot's seat. The result is a barely memorable album where the most interesting component is the mildly provocative cover art.

Grouper - AIA: Alien Observer/Dream Loss (2011)

There is something about the human voice which is magnetic, even when shrouded in mists of reverb, ethereal but incomprehensible. It lures me as a siren does sailors at sea. I imagine it is because of this love of voice that Grouper has written my favourite ambient album insofar as I've heard. Liz Harris exemplifies each of these albums' themes for a winning sleeper's album.

Anna Calvi - Anna Calvi (2011)

Somewhere between PJ Harvey and Zola Jesus, but falling short of the best qualities of either one. A decent album that will go rightfully overshadowed by Let England Shake this year.

Paedantic Basterd is offline   Reply With Quote