Music Banter - View Single Post - Exploitation Film
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2011, 02:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
BastardofYoung
Buzz Killjoy

I didn't even have to think twice about my favorite:

People are divided on this film... I do not think it is because of the cannibals, but rather cause of the real animal killings in the movie... which is what people say to me when asked why they will not watch it, 9 out of 10 times atleast.

While I think that is a valid reason, I think it is still something that has to be seen. For me, it was tough to watch, but I think when i looked at it in context, it was a little bit easier. It boils down to the way of life of the savages, it is their means of survival in their own world... people think cannibals and think they just eat people... but I feel it is not that simple. In the movies, they are usually people who will eat animals, and whatever they can before they decide to eat another human being.. and when they do, it is treated, cured, cleaned and treated with respect and only after they have died. They will prey for it, and eat it not just cause they are savages, but because they think it contains magical powers.. not in all, but i think that is more the cannibal way in reality.

Anyways, as for the movie... I think it is a great horror film, as well as a great social commentary on the way of the world. It focuses as well on ignorant, stuck up Americans who come in and try to change what they do not understand, they do not get the way of life and view them as monsters and try to change things... when this is their way of life and all they know. So it all boils down to the question in the end of which ones are the real monsters.... the savages who are just doing what they do because it is what they know, or the arrogant people who come in and treat them like scum and try to change what they see. It sparks some thought in that sense.

I think that is what good explotation should do, give you something to think about... the animal killings and graphic violence are there to be more in your face and make you confront the issue first hand and question why it makes you uncomfortable.

Bad exploitation is just mindless and doesnt spark the same thought... Cannibal Ferox for example is one that is similar but lacks the impact and seems more sick for the sake of sick to me.

Overall though, it divides people... you have the one side that considers this film nothing but vile disgusting trash, and you have the other side which thinks it is a brilliant social commentary on the way the world goes by trying to change what they do not understand. Up to the viewer to decide what side they are on at the end.

Overall though, one of my favorite horror movies. A must see, atleast once.

‎"I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people." - Jack Handey.
BastardofYoung is offline   Reply With Quote