Music Banter - View Single Post - Badlittlekitten's top 50 indie/alternative tracks of this century so far.
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2011, 11:51 AM   #35 (permalink)
Badlittlekitten
And then there was music

Wolfman Feat. Peter Doherty
For Lovers

'For Lovers' was released around the time that Doherty went A.W.O.L after his release from prison, for robbing his ex Libertine band mates house for crack money. Wolfman is someone I know almost nothing about, except that he was one of Doherty’s dodgy drug buddies. The sense of doomed romance that made the Libertines great is nicely distilled into these wistful three minutes and I suspect that Doherty played a part in writing this. Pete, for once, doesn’t sound like a drunken baby, and sings his crying heart out over gorgeous descending piano chords and misty strings. The moment is the entire second verse where Pete ruminates,

I’m running away with you, from yesterday’s news. Leave it all behind, help me back to my mind. I paid the penalty, hear the jailor rattling the key. But the key was mine, I keep a spare one every time.

It’s sung with heart rending sincerity, the voice of a breaking man that wants to play his get out of jail card. ‘For Lovers’ doesn’t reach the heights of true greatness for its chorus is too plain and uninventive. The promise of something magic squandered, just like the Libertines themselves.

https://soundcloud.com/bad-little-kittens
My Top 100 LPs
My Top 52 Indie Tracks Of The 21st Century (incomplete)
Badlittlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote