Music Banter - View Single Post - Good guitar building videos?
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2011, 10:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
GuitarBizarre
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!

You can learn quite easily, but you'll need to find a lot of the knowledge from trawling blogs and doing your research. Videos do exist but in my experience they're pretty terrible at putting across the actual details of working on such a skilled project.

I recommend the Crimson guitars workshop blog, so you can pick up a lot of what goes into guitar building from there, and move forward looking at the individual skills like Binding, routing, wiring, shielding, fret levelling and crowning, etc. They're all skills in their own right, and you'll need to look at them individually and pull them together yourself.

After that, there are plenty of guitar building forums, but most of what you'll need to learn isn't guitar specific, its just woodworking.

Dan Erlewine makes some wonderful guitar building books by the way, which give you scope to build a project and EXPAND upon Dan's prescribed ideas if need be. They assume some familiarity with woodworking (But so will everything), but they're probably the single best place to start.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote