Music Banter - View Single Post - this is important
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2005, 02:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
Sneer
Let it drip

Quote:
Originally Posted by riseagainstrocks
there are some people on this forum that understand what music is.

and many more that don't. for those that don't here are a few pointers.

1. Mainstream isn't code for bad music. Many mainstream acts bring talent and originality to the masses and act as gateway bands into the more underground forms of music. Simply because the radio started playing AFI or Coldplay doesn't mean they lose their talent. They are better than most of what you like. Deal with it.

2. Original doesn't mean better. City of Dis is a perfect example. Horns do not belong in a metal song. Nor does a clapper in a techno bit. Nor a breakdown with acoustic tinkling in the background. Sad thing is all that happened in one song. Point is just because something isn't groundbreaking, doesn't mean its not worth listening to. I'll take a good pop hook over a mediocre breakdown or some avant-garde art rock crap.

3. MTV is, and always will be, not be worthy of air time.

4. Not every band needs a keyboardist.

5. "Gangsta Rap" is not music. It usually consist of a petty thug recounting his "crimes" and sexual exploits over a simple boom-chik drum beat.

6. Technicallity overules flair. I'm not saying that a band can't be dramatic or anything but often times musical acts will focus more on the delivery rather than the musicianship. A life changing solo (such as the one found in Necrophagist's song Stabwound) will always outdo a smokebomb onstage.

7. Technically profuse does not neccessarily mean who plays fastest.

That is all for now I guess. If i think of more i'll add them. Feel free to post your opinions or possible rebuttals.
agree with pretty much all you said..however, i regularly use 120 minutes on MTV2 to discover new music..so i disagree with that comment.
and gangsta rap..no matter how **** you may find it is still music. it still consists of an arrangement of continuous sounds that create a basic rythmn.
and also, technicality can overule flair..but in other cases flair can convey a mood a lot more precisely then musical ability- that is what music is about at the end of the day- broadcasting emotion.
Sneer is offline   Reply With Quote