Music Banter - View Single Post - 25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2011, 07:29 PM   #77 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

12. My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult—13 Above the Night (1993)

As many people on Earth continue their half-crazed descent into desperate pleasure seeking, the fabric of society begins to restitch itself. Impromptu nightclubs spring up left and right in the most unusual of places, and like every club kid's dream come true, they're all free. Nobody cares about earning a profit anymore—it's all about having as much fun as possible—so the bars at these clubs simply distribute free drinks and drugs to whoever wants them. And the cops? They're there, snorting lines off the tabletops just like everyone else.

My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult have always been about three things: sex, drugs and Satan. While their first two albums definitely skewed Satanic, this one puts a heavier emphasis on the sex and drugs parts of the trinity. In the final days of our planet I think this order of priorities seems pretty reasonable. I mean who really gives a shit about the prince of darkness? Trying to squeeze every last drop of pleasure from your final days, on the other hand? Priceless!

It's all very campy and tongue-in-cheek of course, but nevertheless, in the long, steamy history of sleazy music, 13 Above the Night ranks really, really high (as do several other Thrill Kill Kult albums, but that's a story for another day). Do not be deceived by the somewhat noisy opening track either, this album is far more Lords of Acid than it is Skinny Puppy. This is music to pop pills, boogie in glittery go-go boots and fuck in the middle of the dance floor to. It was actually somewhat divisive among Thrill Kill Kult fans when it came out given it's embrace of house music, but in my humble opinion it's one of the truly great odes to hedonism.

Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote