Music Banter - View Single Post - Rage Against the MODchine
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2011, 08:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
TheBig3
killedmyraindog

Default Rage Against the MODchine

Suggestions for a more civilized future at MB...

Occasionally, it will occur to someone that the Mods have a great deal of power on these forums and that they aren’t using it in the most judicious fashion possible. It should be noted that this isn’t inherently fact; this is just someone’s opinion. Since most of the users on here are teenagers their first inclination is to bitch about it; Teenagers have traditionally employed this method with a great deal of success in the suburbs where parents are generally spine-free and so it’s only natural to fall back on the pattern of successful strategies of the past – if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

But as you may have seen in previous fights, the “debate” usually only ends when someone is either banned, or their level of paranoia fades. To make life a little less rocky for everyone, I’m going to present my 2 cents on how to deal with the mods called:

Rationality in the time of Internet; Or how I stopped being infantile and learned to love the bomb.

First things first: Communication. You’re probably bitching about the mods not telling you why someone was banned, or what your favorite friend (read: troll) got an infraction for. You do hours of research, arguments generally sound like “Person X was banned for A, but Person Y was not banned for A, wtf?” Before we go on, its not so cut and dry. Person X is a ****, and no one likes them. First lesson of life, no one likes a **** and people who aren’t ****s usually get what we call “breaks.” The word break means “Break from the rules (because you’re not a ****)” We’re aware its “unfair” but in all fairness, no one likes a ****, and Person X never thought about our feelings when they engaged in ****-like activity so we’re not going to consider their feelings when they’re struck by the ban-hammer in the left eye.

But maybe this time the argument is a just one (though that’s improbable). The first thing you should do is communicate your problem. Not illustrate the disparity. Life isn’t fair and the mods aren’t robots. It’s a classroom-theory only that law will create equality.

If we’re being honest with ourselves, when we complain about an unjust ruling we’re really looking out for our own hides. Does anyone really care about Person X? No. First of all, they’re a ****, and secondly, all he really does is post funny demotivational posters. I have google, **** person X. So when communicating this fear, suggest a situation where the area might be grayer than usual and say “what would happen here?”
Its best to present this as if we’re clarifying a rule, not saying “well how far can I go before I get banned?” Clarifying rules is a great exercise for the community because it allows everyone to participate, lets the Mods know what the prevailing opinion is, and lets everyone reestablish the lines.

The second thing you should try to do is get the facts. That can be hard because often posts are deleted and the person is banned, but asking in the shoutbox is always a good start. People don’t troll themselves and Mods aren’t generally in the business of saying things like “lawl, honkey got pwned cause he’s a dick!” Try to get the users side of the story. At that point, if you’re not ready to create a rule-clarifying post, PM a mod. Its seen as less of a dick-head move and with this new level of respect you’ve garnered, you might get more answers than you would have otherwise. A good way to start the PM is:

“Hey, I heard that Person X was banned for doing A. Is that the real story?” You know which mods are most social, ask those mods first.

Understanding the Mod Cave.

The only people not discussed in the Mod cave are out and out spammers. The reason is because there’s no deliberation required. For everyone else, you are discussed 9 times out of 10 before action happens. The 10th time is when you’ve been told upteen times to stop doing A. At that point they will just ban your ass.

But overall Mods don’t tend to flip out. Boo Boo flipped out once, most likely due to mental instability, and he was dealt with. All actions were reversed. Boo Boo to this date remains our only Satan. He was the only Mod I can recall who became corrupted with power, lost his mind, then actually lost his power. For most of the guys down there in the cave now, I don’t think I’ve ever seen any of them flip out. So calm down.

Everything’s debated to the point of not giving a **** anymore. There are some mods who never run out of second chances to give, some mods who never had a 2nd chance in the first place, and some mods who are a little more even handed about things. The universe defaults to balance. So does the mod cave.

Finally, and if I can steal a line from Jay-Z here, “Get back to rap, you T-Pain’n too much.” That’s supposed to be a quote used for feel, not direct information. Some people here get too caught up in the Lounge. Go post in the music forums for awhile. Or better yet, log off of MB for awhile. Or just get out of your house. This site isn’t that serious. I understand that you can want to punch a user in the throat repeatedly. I probably feel that way about you. But the sad reality is, we don’t know where these people (you) live. So I can’t blow a grand on slapping the **** out of a whiney 15 year old internet troll as much as I’d ****ing love to and would give up all my Christmas presents to do so.

I hope you found this post informative. A lot of good information was woven into what I tried to make mildly humorous. Now get back to the Bitch Box. You’ve been reading this for way too long and no ones heard about how miserable your life is for the last 3 minutes. Run!