Music Banter - View Single Post - The Concept of Pride
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2011, 02:20 PM   #26 (permalink)
Dirty
Account Disabled

I think it good to be proud of accomplishments, even if they aren't necessarily yours (your country, job, family heritage, etc). It's not bragging or taking credit for something you didn't do, but I feel like it's important to recognize positive contributions and feel good about them. I'm proud of tons of people and things in my life, even though I recognize they are not my own accomplishments. It isn't all inclusive either, I can be proud of certain aspects and ashamed or indifferent to others. Blind pride in something though isn't good, there has to be a reason behind it or it's meaningless.

In another aspect of pride, I feel like people are sometimes too proud to take a job that might be loowed down upon by their social peers. Or too 'proud' to shop at a surplus store with generic brands. In my life, my mother taught me a long time ago when to be proud and when to not be. She is proud of the life she has put around her family and the obstacles she has overcome as a person and us as a family. At the same time, she isn't too proud to use 3 million coupons and buy generic brands so she can save a few hundred bucks every time she gets groceries.

If that makes sense.
Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote