Music Banter - View Single Post - Inner Melodies
Thread: Inner Melodies
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2011, 08:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Insane Guest
Music Addict

I wonder about this all the time, except my question is a bit different. There have been countless times where melodies, beats, riffs, and even entire songs have just developed in my head, I usually just create my own music in my head when I don't have my iPod with me. It's not on Beethoven standards but it reflects my taste of music. Most of them are somewhat influenced by what I have heard in the past month or so. There have been times where I think "Holy ****, I should record this (somehow)becuase I actually think it sounds really good", now the problem kicks in, I have no musical talent. I can't read or write music, don't know anything about notes or how to identify what note something is, so there is no way to recreate it. I can play some guitar, but I just go off tabs and by ear, but I have no skill to play what goes through my head. I highly doubt it's uncommon to have melodies playing in ones head, but then again, I have never met someone who has...but then again, I don't know many people.

Obviously one doesn't know how Beethoven did what he did, but I honestly think that f'ing around on guitar is still a pretty effective way of creating new melodies. As for feeling horrible for not being able to make music, dude, you are making music by playing guitar. Just keep playing and you'll eventually catch on to your style of making music. I don't think there is a set technique of making or hearing the music you will play. Some hear it in their head, some do it with their hands, and some even dream it. Can't remember who it was but I remember hearing somewhere that a musician recorded himself while he was sleeping, he actually recorded himself mumbling a melody, and it became a hit song. Pretty sure it was someone from the Rolling Stones.
Insane Guest is offline   Reply With Quote