Music Banter - View Single Post - The Metalcore Discussion Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2011, 02:36 AM   #216 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLPOCALYPSE View Post
I'm talking about everything from deep death metal growls to the high pitched kind (although, as I said, these are annoying in excess). I wouldn't consider Machine Head to really have a scream of any kind (or a growl). It is more the noise one makes if they are on the phone yelling at someone while taking a giant dump. Honestly, I find it easy (and fun) to imitate, but I can't listen to it for recreation. Sometimes Unearth picks it up with more of a scream (or growl if you wanna be picky) but from what I have heard of them the dude just kinda poop-yells. Sorry about all these poop references but it is kind of difficult to describe any better way. Randy Blythe in my opinion is leagues above Flynn according to my criteria. And Lamb of God sounds pretty macho to me I might add. People prefer different sounding voices, but to me, Flynn just sounds like "one of the guys" who wants to pick up a microphone and shout into it. On the positive though, I think Flynn performs well (or at least consistent to the studio recording) and his clean vocals are good.
How can Blythe be leagues ahead of Flynn when Flynn doesn`t even fit your criteria to make a proper comparison, because as you say Machine Head do not have any screams or growls. They are two totally different singers who sing in completely different styles. In fact the only thing they have in common, is that both of their bands are classified as groove metal and very different styles of groove metal at that.

I`ve actually seen Machine Head live and live they sound very impressive especially Robert Flynn.

And by the way, I knew what you were talking about when you were referring to screaming Phil Anselmo screams in a pretty macho way.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote