Music Banter - View Single Post - The Metalcore Discussion Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2011, 05:32 AM   #220 (permalink)
almauro
Way Out There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
I kind of feel out of touch with a lot of you guys one here when it comes to metalcore, what I`ve heard I mostly don`t like but there have been some bands that have shown promise. If some of you can recommend 5 or 10 metalcore albums that are essential to the genre, I`ll give them a serious listen and they may change my opinion on metalcore.
Metalcore was most interesting in the early 00's with bands like Converge, Botch, Norma Jean, Killswitch Engage and BTBAM. These bands were more influenced by sludge and grindcore, rather than melo-death and anthemic punk. These early metalcore releases are fairly dissonant, very metallic and anti-melodic...with the exception of Killswitch and BTBAM which did flirt with melody. Check out:

Converge - Jane Doe
Botch - We Are the Romans
Norma Jean - Bless the Martyr and Kiss the Child
Between the Buried and Me - The Silent Circus
Killswitch Engage - Alive or Just Breathing

Killswitch's followup "The End of Heartache" is where the melodic-metalcore scene comes from. This has a much greater emphasis on clean anthemic punk-emo sung choruses. If you're interested in this, the next album "As Daylight Days" is better executed.

Finally, just like any other genre, there's the progressive sub-genre which has a lot of wanking, complexity and showmanship. BTBAM is the key band here and "Colors" is the place to start. TDEP probably has had the biggest influence on prog-metalcore as you will hear a lot of mathcore guitar riffs in this music. TDEP's most complex album is "Calculating Infinitey", the most accessible is "Ire Works".

You should also check out Hatebreed - Satisfaction Is the Death of Desire...sounds a little bit like Sepultura

Last edited by almauro; 05-27-2011 at 05:41 AM.
almauro is offline   Reply With Quote