Music Banter - View Single Post - The Final Sound
Thread: The Final Sound
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2011, 12:32 PM   #32 (permalink)
Zer0

The Clouds - Tranquil (1987)

Track Listing:
1. Tranquil
2. Get Out Of My Dream
3. Village Green

Music history is littered with bands that have only one album to their name. But what about bands that only released one single? Scottish indie-pop band The Clouds are an example of such a band. The Clouds (not to be confused with a few other artists with the same name) only have 7 minutes and 53 seconds of music to their name, but this record is a short and sweet offering of gloriously shambolic post-C86 jangle-pop that still sounds brilliant today and hasn't aged a bit.

The title track grabs you instantly with it's bright, chiming guitars and memorable vocal hooks and sounds like the perfect soundtrack for indie romance. Things get up-tempo with the gloriously infectious 'Get Out Of My Dream', which features some brilliant vocal hooks and great guitar backing to create a near-perfect indie-pop tune. This is definitely the highlight of the record for me. Rounding things off is the similar-paced 'Village Green' with it's almost punk-sounding 3-chord riffs combined with some nice jangly guitars and some great vocals hooks thrown in for good measure. After hearing this you really wish for more but unfortunately that is it.

COOL FACT: Teenage Fanclub frontman Norman Blake was a member and played all the guitars on this record.

Unfortunately I couldn't find a video for the final track 'Village Green'.

Last edited by Zer0; 05-27-2011 at 03:33 PM.
Zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote