Music Banter - View Single Post - Opeth
Thread: Opeth
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2011, 08:13 PM   #112 (permalink)
EvilChuck
#based

10th album is coming out this september, Mikael has said this about it:

Quote:
It will be our 10th album/observation. I dig it; we all do. In fact, it feels like I've been building up to write for and participate on an album like this since I was 19.

It's quite intense at times in some 'old' murky way, and quite beautiful and stark at times, if I may say so myself.

It's obvious I'm going to say nice things about it since I wrote, basically, the whole piece, but I guess it will raise a few eyebrows and it certainly is an acquired taste.

I think you'll need a slightly deeper understanding of our music as a whole to be able to appreciate this record.

I've realized my influences for this album are so diverse that I can't really say what it sounds like.

If I can compare it to any other band, it would have to be OPETH, but it's different from the stuff we've done before.

I've listened a lot to ALICE COOPER for the last year, yet I can't say it sounds like No More Mr. Nice Guy.

I hope you'll like it once you hear it.
I can see them going further away from their death metal side and venturing deeper into the prog side of things, especially with Mikael using words like 'piece' when referring to the album. I hope not as its their harsher side that I prefer especially on the older albums (Deliverance and MAYH are my favourite Opeth albums), and the softer parts just created some serenity in their music.