Music Banter - View Single Post - Absurd Third Werd.Moon June Spoon...mb
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2011, 08:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb stonehouse View Post
I tried to seduce her
With conversation and gin

It was cold outside
And I wanted in
Snow'd begun falling
When the first smile finally broke
It warmed up the place
As we shared a smoke
Emily Jo-Hannah
Touches my leg with her toes
Emily Jo-Hannah
Blushes-the tension grows

Her eyes were the colour
Of warm molasses brown bread
And I made a point of hanging
On every word she said
When she was younger
Said she lived on a bay
Was a sculptress of things
The tides washed away
Emily Jo-Hannah's
Voice suddenly slows
Emily Jo-Hannah
Shrugs says that's how it goes

I woke up beside her
As she was leaving the bed
I used to be somebody
She quietly said

She brought back coffee
And some grilled cheese melt
I reached out and touched her
Said I knew just how she felt

Emily Jo-Hannah
Kisses the tip of my nose
Emily Jo-Hannah
Without any clothes

(she tried to seduce me
with conversation and gin
it was cold outside
and she wanted in)

oct2/2008
Stonehouse, this is my favorite of your poems/lyrics because you've created a warm, realistic feeling of two people accepting and desiring each other. You do this by using specific, tender descriptions that are sweet, surprising and sometimes sensual, with my favorites in bold.

I also like the repetition of the first and last stanzas in which you simply change the pronoun to show the reciprocity of their feelings.

I like how you create a sense of Emily Jo-Hannah's history and weave it into the current moments the two are experiencing together, all within one short song. I admire that you tell a story concisely especially since I'm almost always overly long with my lyrics!

One word I wish were different is "things" in these lines: "Was a sculptress of things/The tides washed away." Compared to all the specific details you use elsewhere, "things" seems so generic, though I couldn't think of a good substitute...just that I wished there were one.

The cheese melt was a nice touch, although I at first debated with myself whether it was too specific such that it became humorous...but I decided I liked it. The simple gesture of someone bringing another food in bed is sweet and comforting.

I enjoyed the detail of Emily once being a sculptress. I like the idea of her having worked at things that didn't last or pan out...but she appears to be going on with her life and enjoying it. I was reminded of completely fabricated lyrics I wrote about a man who meets a woman who makes sculptures from twisty-ties:

"Then one night he went out to eat,
gave his order to a stranger who smiled.
He thought, she’d be someone he’d like to meet.
She seemed so open like a child.

She saved twisty-ties from bags of breads,
wove them into colorful tapestries,
characters with twisty-tie ring heads,
and mobiles swaying in the breeze."
http://www.musicbanter.com/song-writ...tml#post725912

Maybe that was Emily Jo-Hannah when she lived by the bay!

I like the combination of regrets, understanding, acceptance, and comfort in these lyrics. Your description makes the events feel vividly real, as if they could have really happened.
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote