Music Banter - View Single Post - Advice thread
Thread: Advice thread
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2011, 02:06 AM   #118 (permalink)
crash_override
Seemingly Silenced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumor View Post
I need advice.
I know a couple of you have been in the military. I was thinking of becoming a medic. From what I understand, I have to carry a hand gun for protection but it's a war crime if anyone shoots at me. I'm cool with that. I don't know if pulling bullets out of bodies on and off for four years will leave me in a decent mental state though.
I think medics go to bootcamp too. I could probably do that. I wouldn't enjoy it but I'm hardly a little bitch. If I need to go to school before this for something, I know it's not for me. I don't want to be a doctor, I want to be a human rights activist (although social work is my fallback.) I just have very little college money and I don't want to go to Bum**** University like 90% of my graduating class will.
I'm worried about the stress of being around death and sickness all the time. I've had post traumatic stress disorder before and it made me a total bitch. I came out of it alright but I'm not the most mentally stable person in the world. I have no idea if I have what it takes to do this.
I figure a couple years as a medic (3 I think?) and then a few weeks in a psychiatric hospital isn't such a bad deal for some college money, right?
Terrible idea, for more than one reason.

I personally don't think you're serious about it, considering you don't even know which branch you want to go into. That tells me you haven't done very much research on the topic, and probably aren't seriously considering it.

I don't think you have the patience, self control, or mental fortitude to make it through boot camp, let alone Fleet Marine Force (FMF) school, which is the closest thing to an actual field medic you will actually see in todays military. And honestly, even if you did have what it takes, you would probably end up pregnant within the first year, which would disqualify you from school and you would spend your days sweeping floors and picking up trash around the base.

Even if you did become a Hospital Corpsman, or Medical assistant in non-Navy branches, you would probably spend most of your time giving penicillin shots in peoples asses and making appointments for old retired veterans.

I personally joined for the same reason, to get training and free school. But after going through almost everything and seeing what the military has to offer, my advice is this. Don't believe what you see in movies, the military is nothing like you think it is. It's boring, tedious, political, hypocritical, and back-stabbing. It will eat your soul.

Just take out a few hundred thousand in student loans and go to community college.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEY
"Never trust your own eyes, believe what you are told".
crash_override is offline   Reply With Quote